Wednesday, September 23, 2009

we need more of old folks love...

there was a 78 year old woman that came into the clinic today with her husband. the husband's arm was around the woman the entire time she walked through the door, filled out her paper work, to the time i told them it was her turn for her procedure.

they were such a cute couple. both very calm and both had these little smiles on there faces. almost grinning like they were happy to be here. (never is anyone happy to be here considering the kind of procedure they are about to get)
he came up and gently pulled me by the arm, "can i go sit by her during her procedure? i just wanted to hold her hand through it all".

it broke my heart telling him he couldn't because of HIPPA reasons.

she pulled his face in and kissed the part that she scrunched with her hands. "oh your so cute" is what she said after kissing him.

i started walking her back to the room and she then again said, "oh he is so cute". and honestly giggled after she said that.

i couldn't help but ask "how long have you 2 been married for?"

"62 years" she said. (i was expecting her to say 3 years from how they were acting with each other.)

again, i couldn't help but ask, "well gosh what's the secret to that kind of marriage?"

she hugged me and said, "never say anything bad about each other".

melted me. this cute little couple melted me.
we need more of that i say.

(p.s. promise i was too embarrassed to keep that last post up from dear old booradley. but i do love him. and am oh so grateful for that hunk of a man. )

6 comments:

Allie said...

I am a huge fan of old people. Our ward is pretty seasoned, so we have a great mixture of all ages, and I swear I would not have it any other way. Everyone talks about wanting these way young wards, but I honestly enjoy having an older ward.

This was an adorable story.

Jessie said...

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but that just made me cry. That is the cutest thing I've ever heard. I only pray that me and Darin will still be as in love as we are now 62 years down the road. Heck, I hope I'm even alive 62 years down the road.

I can't believe you took that post down!

Dan and Nicole said...

That is so sweet!!! I want to see the post you took down. haha

the murdocks said...

Melt my heart. That is amazing.

What post did you take down?!? Put it back up. I must see it.

Anonymous said...

melissa, i am ticked for two reasons. number one - i thought all day long of what i could write in response to brads post and thougth of the perfect thing only to find that you had taken it down. number two - mike and i have no chance of being that cute of an old couple since we wernt even that cute from day one...maybe after 62 years of practice?
leslie

Jeff and Lisa Elder Blog said...

There are perfect marriages after all:) What a beautiful story of true unconditional love.
I agree with the others-put the post back up! Love ya!