Monday, September 13, 2010

alberta bound.

my little sis, jax, had a good friend up in canada that was heading out on a mish. i thought it was the perfect opportunity to go spend time with my grandparents. i never get to see them, and when i do there is about 1,946 other family members around so it's truly a rare gift when i get one on one time with them.

i'm not going to lie, i cried for about an hour while i was driving away from my grandma standing by herself, waving us goodbye on her porch. their 2 of the most precious people i know. so while jax and mike were out partying i stayed inside, asking my grandparents questions about there life, when they were dating, all the kids growing up, and even their honeymoon.

my grandma even said one time, "i love when you ask lawrence (my grandpa) these questions because i don't even know the answers he's going to say." so hopefully they weren't too bored while i was loving every second of getting to know their lives.

and of course we sqeezed in some play time in waterton and hillspring. we had to show mike around, and i didn't want to miss his reaction to everything our family has been talking up for the last 20 years. the only thing missing was brad. i missed him.









Align Centerso my cousin celeste (the blonde in the pictures) came from edmonton too for the farewell and my absolute favorite quote from the weekend was...

celeste walks in with her faded/holy jeans that we all know are instyle, and my grandma looks at them and says, "oh celeste! it's too bad you are still on wellfare...". i couldn't stop rolling.

i'll always hold this little weekend so close to me. being with them made me want to be a better person. it made me want to love more, to even hug more. to just enjoy this time with the ones i love so much and just hold them close throughout my life.

10 comments:

Jennie n Jeff said...

there are 2 types of people in this world... Gibb's and those who wish they were Gibb's.... Sometimes I feel bad for people who don't have Grandma and Grandpa Gibb...

Lindsay said...

Those are some amazing pictures! Looks like you had a blast! What a great little trip!

Taylor & Kristin said...

Ohh fun times... your grams and grampps are so cute. They probably loved every second of you guys being there.

Maren said...

MELISSA! Had I known you were in S.A. I would have totally come down to visit with you! You bum. Bum. Bum. Bum! AnyWHO, my FAV shot is the one of Grandma and Grandpa on the couch! Classic!!! You are so good! Anywho, Bethany and I had a similar experience with Grandpa a couple years ago just sitting there and asking him about his dating life with Grandma and their first years of marriage, etc. I loved it! I need to get a recorder out so the stories from Grandpa's point of view can be written. Anywho, ...loved that you shared this! I really miss you guys (if you couldn't tell).

shannon said...

awwh i love this post! i promise it brought tears...
it sure looks like you packed a lot in to your weekend trip, but it also looks like you didnt make it to blackfalds to visit me...

Michael Bangerter said...

I promise I have a crush on your grandparents, Melissa. They are seriously such awesome people. By the end of the weekend I was calling them Grandma and Grandpa.

Kay said...

I too think your grandparents are the cutest people ever...so friendly and witty! Wish I were home to visit with you!

Leslie said...

melissa i am so homesick after that post! i really wish me and jake could have gone with you! it looks like you had a successful weekend and got a lot done despite only having a day to do it all. love the pictures!

bgibb said...

i love grama's comment to celeste! haha

the fellers said...

oh my gosh, that is the funniest thing that Grandma said to Celetste..I am rolling! HILARIOUS, I can TOTALLY picture her saying that. We love when we get one on one time with them, it is kinda nice when we get to go when no one else is there....Shon LOVES to play (get beat in) scrabble with Grandma and the kids love to get to know them, it might be selfish, but it is sure worth it!