Wednesday, April 14, 2010

days like these.




i love days like these. when the unexpected happens, the sun is brighter than ever, and you don't feel any weight of the world on your shoulders.
sometimes these days are rare, but it makes them that much sweeter.

a wife just found out her husband had colon cancer after his procedure this morning. i went outside to take the mail out and found her sitting on the bench by the road crying with her head in her hands.
my heart shattered for her.
i walked up and asked if there was anything on earth i could possibly do to help her in this moment. while in sobs, she asked if i had a cigarette. she explained to me that she had quit about 2 months ago but desperately needed a cigarette to calm her.
my heart felt so sorry for this woman that finding a cigarette for her was all that i had on my mind. i went from clinic to clinic with no shame trying to find this woman a cigarette and a lighter.
after 4 clinics and some weird looks, i found one from a 17 year old receptionist. i had never felt so relieved when i found one for her.
she thanked me with a hug and i went on my way not being able to comprehend her life change.

after work i got in my car and drove down to spend time with my family while brad was at school. i don't think i've ever driven so fast to see them.

i was driving with my window down and i got the best, most overwhelming smell of freshly mowed grass. that smell reminds of me of everything. it puts me in a trans every time i get a woof.

i met up with the sisters and parents for lunch, and we chatted and laughed like there really wasn't one worry. it felt good.
i love days like these.

5 comments:

JaX! said...

Gosh I love your blog. Why why did I not get your blogging skills? this was so cute Mel!!! Today was way fun

the fellers said...

mmmmm...freshly mowed grass! I am so sorry for that lady....you are a great person Melis!

the murdocks said...

Today was fantastic, we need to do it more often. I especially loved the phone call.

Mindy said...

I'm so glad I found your blog!

Lindsay said...

Oh gosh, I can't imagine...that poor woman. Wow. I found something that reminded me of some yummy restaurants you've mentioned... http://www.downtownslc.org/dine-o-round/spring
Sounds like I better go try out Settebellos and the Bayleaf Cafe! Yum!