Wednesday, April 2, 2008

THE DIABETIC DIET

So, now that I am Diabetic, my eating has changed DRASTICALLY, and I mean drastically. Sure didn't watch too much of what I ate in the past. Part of being a diabetic is having a strict meal plan and counting carbs. I'll be honest, it was H E Double at the start, but now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's actually fun, and way easier then I thought, making all these recipes they send me. I have around 300 recipes made and designed specifically for my weight and body mass that are literally DELICIOUS!! So-as I have been making all these recipes and feeling extremely good by eating them, I want everyone in on the fun:). I've had some requests to share the recipes, so that's exactly what I'm going to do! I'm going to post the breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes on my blog for all of you to make yourselves, and not only have fun while cooking, but to feel good and eat healthier! Promise you will feel a difference. (side note-all of these are portioned and sized for no more then 30 grams a meal, so if you want more, feel free to double the recipe)I'm going to start with one of my favorites today that I made 2 nights ago:

Almond Tilapia (fish of your choice) and Asparagus w/ Brown Rice

Ingredients:
1 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup Brown Rice
1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tilapia fillets (5-6 ounces each)
Salt and pepper
Brown Flour, for dredging
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Preparation:
Heat pot and add 1/4 tablespoon butter in a pot until boiling. Stir in rice. Simmer rice for as long as directed. While rice cooks, toast nuts in a skillet until golden, 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Remove nuts and reserve.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of Virgin Olive Oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter to skillet. Season fish with salt and pepper and dust fish lightly in flour. Cook fish fillets for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and firm. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the pan.
You can add whatever vegetable you want, but my choice was Asparagus. See, EASY and FAST! Hope you enjoy it as much as me and Brad did:)

10 comments:

chelsey said...

WOW. That sounds amazing! And SO healthy:) Umm, do you think you could post all 300? :) Ok, maybe just the best ones!

Dani said...

Im really excited to see the recipes and try some out. I'm starting a new diet cuz I'm Insulin Resistant so these will work great!

Elizabeth said...

That sounds delicious (and really fancy!) I would like to eat healthier, so I am glad you will be posting more recipes. Happy you are doing well, we miss you guys!

KO and SJ said...

Melissa... WTF! I don't see or hear of you forever, and now I find out you almost DIED?!!!!! I can't believe the past few weeks for you! I am so glad we have found each other again. Lets keep in touch!

Ryan and Tori said...

YES! I can always use new recipes. Especially once I'm home all the time, I told Ryan I'm going to become an excellent cook :) Then there is Ryan's dad who has been a health freak ever since his heart surgery so it will be nice to not only know good recipes, but good healthy recipes. So, I love this idea. Thanks a lot!

Jake, Teylor, Walker & Hayes said...

Oh my heck Melissa! I am so glad you found out that your blood sugar was out of control:) My nephew (he is 2) just found out he had Type 1 Diabetes too - his blood sugar should have been 100-200 and it was 760 - so he was at Primarys for 5 days. (this was last June) But my sister has to count all his carbs too and he just barely got a pump that he wears instead of getting a shot! I am so proud of you for finding tons of great receipes. It might seem hard at first, but it will become so natural!!
Hope all is well - oh p.s. we need to plan a shower for Tori. Or if you already have, just let me know if there is anything I can do to help:)

Miss the good times at New Freedom and First American!

Lisa Edstrom said...

Okay, so I am so sorry to hear this! Yuck! Could it have been working at Coldstone in high school? (: I loved when you worked there!! You look so freaking pretty and skinny- seriously!! Its making me sick! How is everything else going? You guys look great together.

Mel said...

Melissa... Oh my GOSH!! You poor thing! I am so freakin glad you're ok! Don't do that to people! I'm sure your cute hubby was worried sick about you! It sounds like you have a great attitude about everything so that is awesome! Keep that up even when you get frustrated or down. I almost cried when I read about this because I don't know if I'd be that tough. You are a great example! Take care of yourself and keep in touch!
Mel

SaRah G. said...

i don't even know how you do it!!! they do sound extremely amazing i must say!!!

Unknown said...

wow, Melissa! I had no idea. I'm so glad you're okay--I bet that was so scary for you and for Brad. But I'm glad you are okay now, and that you're feeling a lot better, and enjoying it!